Bridlington is a seaside resort, minor sea fishing port and civil parish on the
Holderness Coast of the North Sea, in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It has a static population of over 33,000, which rises considerably during the tourist
season. The town is twinned with Millau in France, and Bad Salzuflen in Germany.
Three Brothers in full sail
photo by Mike Wilson
The origins of the habitation of Bridlington are unknown, but can be traced back to ancient
times. The nearby Dane's Dyke on Flamborough Head, a 4km long man-made dyke dates back to the Bronze Age. There was a Roman settlement at Sewerby (close by Bridlington).
A Roman road can be traced into the town and Roman coins have been found in the town.
The earliest written evidence of Bridlington is located in the Domesday Book. It records that
"Bretlinton" was the head of the Huntow Hundred and was held by Earl Morcar before it passed into the hands of William the Conqueror.
Bridlington’s fishing industry started in earnest when a small fishing port grew up there,
later known as Bridlington Quay. After the discovery of a chalybeate spring, the Quay developed in the 19th century to include the facilities of a seaside resort. Bridlington's first
hotel was opened in 1805 and it soon became a popular holiday resort for industrial workers from the West Riding of Yorkshire. A new railway station was opened on 6 October
1846, between the Quay and the historic town.
Although the large fishing fleet has declined, the port remains popular with sea anglers for day trips along the coast or
further out to local shipwrecks. Nowadays Bridlington has lucrative export markets for shell fish to France, Spain and Italy, said to be worth several million pounds a year.